Everybody gets low. And I mean everybody, even your Instagram friend who lives on the beach, traveling the world and appears to have your dream life. Really, they feel the blues too.
You could just be having a bad day or you might be feeling something more. Once you’re down, it is so hard to find a way to move along with your day and feel better. Stuck in a rut, livid angry, depressed and unable to lift yourself out of bed, what have you. You may just need some help whenever you get to this point, and here are some activities you can try to pick yourself up.
- Stretch it out
- Go for a walk– fresh air and new scenery is a definite pick-me-up
- Practice deep breathing– in through your nose, out through your mouth.
- Exercise– release some endorphins and try going for a run or swim.
- Play your favorite songs or playlist– if you’re up to it, start a dance party.
- Get lost in a book
- Count your blessings– make a list of the good things you’ve got going for you and the things you’re thankful for
- Endulge in some comfort food or cook something special all for yourself– did someone say dessert?
- Practice self-love and #treatyoself– think mini shopping spree, hair appointment, fancy chocolates, manicure, or whatever makes you happy
- Read inspiring quotes
- Call a friend or family member– someone that you can count on for some good ole venting and gossiping
- Catch some rays – get some sunshine, lay out, head to the beach, or schedule a session in a tanning bed
- Watch your favorite movie
- Go for a drive– Put the radio on blast, roll your windows down if you can and enjoy
- Take a bath or shower– think soothing hot water to wash away your worries
- Clean– decluttering can keep you busy and sometimes help you feel like you’re decluttering your life too
- Make fun plans
- Write– put your feelings into words and get it off your chest
- Chase your dreams– pursue them wildly and fearlessly and set some goals
- Cuddle with a pet
- Get dressed up– put some extra effort into your hair and makeup and put on your favorite outfit
- Rearrange your house– feng schui it up for a fresh change of pace
- Look through fond photographs
- Volunteer– doing good will make you feel good
- Cry it out– sometimes what you really need is a good cry to let it all out and reach catharsis so you can feel better
How do you pick yourself up when you’re feeling low? Have you tried any of these activities?